Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ranking Our Writers


Perhaps it's not really useful to rank writers in order of their reputation, their fame, their success with critics or with other readers. If a story works for you, if you enjoy it and if it makes you think about the world in a new way, then it's a good story. It doesn't matter what other people think of it.

And yet, I think that it would be interesting to see how the world judges the writers that we are reading.

In the first rank we have Hemingway and Faulkner. People will be reading them as long as they are reading the English language. These two guys are "in," and not simply because they have the Nobel Prize--a lot of writers get the Nobel prize and they're completely forgotten ten years later. Their writing is now more than fifty years old, and it is as popular as ever. Enough time has passed for us to see that these two guys are not going away.

Then there is the second rank. Older writers who are very solid, but who are judged by a lot of critics and scholars and readers to be too simple. Maugham is here. He is older than Faulkner and Hemingway, and he is probably just as popular with readers today as they are, but for a lot of professors, scholars, people who write books that judge other books, he seems a little too obvious, too easy. Maugham himself thought that it was very hard to be obvious; he thought that someone like Faulkner was sometimes more complicated than he needed to be. But Maugham himself said once about his fame, his reputation: "I am a first-rate writer of the second rank." Not a bad place to be.

Pritchett is also in the second rank. Pritchett will probably be remembered for writing essays on thousands of books. He read and knew Western literature like nobody else. He was super-solid. Like with Maugham, that is not enough. Pritchett never wrote a "big" novel. Still, some of his stories, like "You Make Your Own Life," will always be read, always remembered.

Then there is the third rank. Francine Prose and Raymond Carver and Jhumpa Lahiri are here. Epstein is here too, although maybe not because of the stories. Epstein is more famous for writing essays--about other writers, about culture, and about life in general. They are solid and good, but so recent that it is too early to tell if he will survive. We don't judge who will survive; time judges. As Francine Prose herself said once, "You can assume that if a writer's work has survived for centuries, there are reasons why this is so, explanations that have nothing to do with a conspiracy of academics..." I am excited about seeing what will happen to these two, how they will be judged, in the next fifty years.

8 comments:

  1. Ah...I have a few question...

    What is your first criteria of this rank? Quality of stories? Fame? Or...solidness?

    "I am a first-rate writer of the second rank." <-What does it mean?

    What is "big" novel? It means, a long series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe hemingway has own style of
    writing. It's very straight forword. We don't
    have to read and think at the same time.
    I guess he is tring to give us the right
    information without any tricks.
    His writing is attractive and popular until today because It's simple. For example,
    Sometimes in old novels we find it pretty difficult to understand the writer's intention
    and words, Specially when we begin the story
    I feel like I'm reading some kind of detective
    story. on the other hand Faulkner is providing
    tons of informations at the same to give us chance to think and guess the end of the story.
    It's pretty fun and It was very Interesting to
    see his well built structure story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the story that we read today, Talking Dog by Francine Prose. Becase He(Is he man right?) didn't any thing directly but finally it gives us 'BAM!' shocking thing or a lot to think about. Did older sister loves Jimmy that much? I mean actually Dose she? more than her little sister did (which was kind of secret)? I think I like this story because I pity little girl who do one-way secret love. We all might have that expirence of that which is Can Not Tell and hurtful.

    And on my ranking, Second is Raymond Carver. When I read the story I imagine the field of Arkansas which I lived. We used to sit around and talked about silly things. Sometime it was about love, not like this serious. But I think in this story they are honest, not hide their feeling, especially Herb. So anyway I like that wCarver's way of telling the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm perfectly agree with Hyoeun P:)! I was little suffer in that crazy lunch time, so I tried to read it again, and another, short but serious, noraml AND crazy, about love or not. I love Prose's story. To me, it's in same favorite rank of shocking mine as Pritchett. Wow, 'Mine' is a good word to descrive those story. You can understand it, people.
    And I'm remembering the first class with Hemingway. We just got angry and confused, is this real love? Now, I can sure and say: Well, it was just start. That guy was a NORAML when you compare with barber and Emily-Terri-Fred and older sister in Talking dog. And then I think it too, how they will be judged in next period? I mean even to us is shocked. Will they think barber same as we think Romeo or Hamlet? We usually think they are romantic, sad love story. Maybe futurer's love will be more crazy then now, so they could think Fred is romantic! Can you imagine that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually I can't understand why people try to ranking writers.

    During middle school and high school, all of my literature teachers just let us to memorize novels' or poems' formula. But after I enter the univ., now I finally don't have to memorize them, and it really excited me. I expected that there are real way to enjoy literature.

    Now I can learn more freely much more than before. Thoush my opinion is different from prof.'s, it sometimes can be obtained. And I think that accepting different ideas is a real joy of literature.

    Then ranking writers? That can't be possible, I think. Well, there could be better skills or something. But I think that's just dissimilarity, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Ye-Ji
    You said 'ranking writers, that can't be possible' but which writer do you like? I just want to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, in my case, It's difficult to rank the writers. Seems like it requires some kind of critical view, which I don't have.ㅠㅠ
    But, if I choose the best writer for me, I may say it's Ernest Hemingway. When I was a middle school student, I read Old man and the see in English, and I felt so bored with it. Maybe because I was forced to read it, and at that time, I wasn't good enough at English. When I saw Ernest Hemingway on the list of Modern love stories, I din't have any expectations about it until I read The hills like white elephants. I like both of short stories he wrote, but especially first one moved me. Their conversation is so easy and short, but it incorporates their hundred thousands minds and thoughts, and it evoked my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete