Sunday, September 13, 2009

The drama of Emily step by step

I hope--and I think you also do--that this will be the last big thing I will write here about A Rose for Emily, the most difficult story we will ever read!

On Tuesday let's spend some more time discussing this story. I am sure many of you want to ask, "Why did Faulkner make this so difficult, so much like a puzzle?"

Now, let's review what happened here, in order:


-Emily's father dies; she is thirty years old

-the next summer, Homer Barron comes to town

-Emily starts going out with Barron

-people start saying, "Poor Emily."

-more than a year later, Emily buys rat poison

-Homer Barron disappears

-there is a bad smell for two weeks

-Emily's door is closed from now on; she does not go out for six months; one day in 1894 Colonel Sartoris remits her taxes

-Emily dies and is buried the next day

-The townspeople break down the door upstairs and discover the skeleton (the bones) of a long-dead man




7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wrote something about 'A rose for Emily' on my blog. plz read and comment it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday, tell us the address of your blog! :_)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first read the story, I can't understand the word 'we'. And now I know(and also Jerry told it)that speaker is one of the people who live in the same town of Emliy's living. This person is southern but didn't say any negative words about northern. We have to guess through writes! And there are lofs of things we have to do another surmise... I'm happy that this COMPLICATED writes is DONE..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still wondering...why Emily killed H.B.?

    Maybe...the truth is out there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there are two possible reasons that Emily killed H.B. First one I thought she kill him to survive. She was in financial problem and maybe she did that on purpose. Second thought is that she killed him because she loved him so much so she wanted to keep him with her. I don't know these are just my theory.

    ReplyDelete